Polish Londoner

These are the thoughts and moods of a born Londoner who is proud of his Polish roots.



Monday 3 October 2022

A humiliating Accident


 I had an accident as I left the office this afternon (Monday 3rd October). I tripped on the pavement on the way to the car, fell forward onto my knees then bucked forward onto my hands and finally the front of my face. I lay there prone for a minute in pain and shock, wondering what was hurting and what could be broken. I took out the bridge in my upper jaw, but it was okay, although blood seeped from my nose and my upper lip. My front two teeth seemed to have taken a large part of the impact. I managed to get up, very shaken, and looked round. Nobody had seen me. Both my hands had been badly skinned and I felt the same about my knees underneath my jeans. I managed to get to the car and sat down to look at my face. My front teeth seemed to be in place but the gap between them seemed bigger. The blood on my face had stopped flowing. 

Shaken as I was, I decided to drive home, but I knew that I had to collect some repeat medicines for Albina and also get some milk which had run out. As I drove home the trauma made itself felt as I felt I could soil myself from the shock. But what could I do, but drive on. I saw the blood from my right thumb sticking to the steering wheel and my right wrist felt limp though it was not in pain. On reaching Brentford I parked illegally, rushed in my dreadful state into the pharmacy to collect the prescription and then got a small bottle of milk from a nearby shop. Finally managed to scramble home.

A shower and an overall review suggested I had no permanent damage but I still resolved to travel to work next day. Perhaps by train if my wrist would be too weak to steer. Altogether a humiliating finish to the day, but I went to bed early, hoping to get a grip on myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment