Polish Londoner

These are the thoughts and moods of a born Londoner who is proud of his Polish roots.



Thursday 18 August 2022

No Vilnius?


 

I see the Federation of Poles in Great Britain have asked me to travel to Vilnius in late September to represent them at a world conference of Polish communities (World Polonia Council) and speak about our record on promoting Poland and defending the interests of Poles in our country of residence. 

Actually, I would love to go, even as a last Hurrah, as it is a subject I have held dear since the 1980s when I chaired the Polish Solidarity Camapign and was later the Vice-Chairman of the Federation of Poles in Great Britain. Also I have never been to Vilnius, a former Polish city and, even though it is now the capital of Lithuania, it still has a large ethnic Polish popualtion. Albina even went there along with her late friend Ewa Jarosz, only some 5 years ago, on their joint coach trip around the Baltic states.

 However, the days in question are a Monday and Tuesday and I would have to take time off from work after having reached a deal with them over working without a holiday until the big cruise in February. But most important of all, I know that my going would upset Albina. She is so sensitive now to my taking time off away from her. I have been abandoning her consistently with my comunity and political activities in the first fifty years of our marriage, and I am determined to make it up to her and spend more time with her. I am aware that compared to her I have invested very little into our marriage and the big tour around the world is my way to make up for it, now that we can afford it. So, sorry. No Vilnius. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment