Polish Londoner

These are the thoughts and moods of a born Londoner who is proud of his Polish roots.



Wednesday 31 August 2022

Reality check


 

Had a weird dream last night. They are all weird and unsettling, but some are more memorable than others. Anyway, I was commander of a Ukrainian military unit facing Russian occupation forces in the village nearby. It seems we had made a secret deal. We would share food, power and water with the villagers, so that everyone could survive the coming winter shortages. Everyone local is pleased with this arrangement. Can I put that agreement formally in writing? Initially I want to say yes. Then with a great effort I come to the conclusion (thinking anything logically in a dream is so difficult) that I cannot. I would be considered a traitor and collaborator, and I could be shot. With this confronation with reality, I wake up.

That same morning I hear that a Ukrainian MP in Kherson, who cooperated with the Russian occupation of the city, was shot and killed as a traitor by a Ukrainian revenge squad. More ominously still, his wife had her throat cut at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment