Polish Londoner

These are the thoughts and moods of a born Londoner who is proud of his Polish roots.



Thursday 2 February 2023

Inoculations

 


A key step today for our journey. Inoculations. 

I had booked them 3 weeks earlier. I showed the chemist the route and he suggested that we need three separate jabs. One for Hepatatis A, one for Typhoid, and one with a cocktail of Diphtheria, Polio and Tetanus. I wasn't concerned for myself, but for Albina. Her immune system is poor and now she only has one kidney. I hope she can take that amount of foreign semi-toxic substances in her body. 

The chemist suggested we get our GP's clinic to list the inoculations in the last twenty years. I must admit I had no idea that GPs do such a service. However, I duly followed his advice and got a very comprehemsive list for both of us, including all our covid and flu jabs.

When we turned up today he was very impressed with the list. It transpired that Albina's Hepatatis A jab in 2003 is valid for 25 years and so is still valid for the next 6 years. However, that did not apply to me. In the meantime we had received Fred Olsen advice that in Colombia there is a serious danger fron yellow fever and recommended we get inoculated for that as well. When I mentioned this to the chemist he pointed out that at our age a yellow fever could have serious side effects. Albina chickened out, but I said I would still take my shot. I did not even ask what the side effects would be. So Albina had two jabs: Typhoid and the triple jab DPT. I had four, including the yellow fever. The Chemist, an elderly Indian was charming and komwledgable warning us about foor in India. Avoid yogurt, water that was not bottled, salads and any cold food. Take some crisp packets, he suggested, so that if you are suspicious of any food, you can refuse it but still not go hungry. All in cost £244,

When I got home I checked on the most common symptoms of a yellow fever jab. Swelling of face, skin rash, headache, farigue, unusual weakness, muscle pain, injection site pain. Oh well, something to look forward to.


No comments:

Post a Comment