Polish Londoner

These are the thoughts and moods of a born Londoner who is proud of his Polish roots.



Saturday 25 February 2023

Around Finisterre

 


Looking from our balcony this morning the sea seemed darker, even blackish. The sky remained overcast, like yesterday. It had obviously rained overnight as the outerfloor of the balcony was wet. Luckily Albina had moved our two deckchairs near our door and they were not affected by the rain.

Today we decided to try for abrekfast in the posh Borealis restaurant. We found breakfast here a different service from the View buffet. You had to order from a set meu and the ever unctuous staff brought you anything you needed. Nowadays neither of us are capable of doing justice to a full all singing and all dancing English breakfast, Albina opted for an eggs benedicte, while I chose a green yoghurt, and after that a plate of porridge garnished with honey, cinnamon and fruit. I don't even like porridge but somehow I felt I was being kind to my body by rejecting the fried meal. Even then I had to finish the eggs benedicte as Albina ate only one of the two portions supplied. Frankly we preferred to select our own food, so probably we won't try this restaurant for breakfast again. 

We checked the massive programme on board again today but Albina could not be bothered to try anything. We stayed in the cabin until lunch. We sat for a time together reading in a cosy corner of the Ocean Bar, I had decided to start reading  another Polish novel - "Ashes" by Stefan Zeromski, but frankly I found it hard going to get immersed. Then I opted to try out the gym.

It was situated on Deck 5 overlooking the prow of the ship, When I did my 30 minute walk on the treadmill I was in the middle of the glass front with the best view of where we were heading. Not that there was anything to see, It was good to familiarize myself again with the rowing machine, the leg press and the chest press, and I returned to my room quite pleased with myself. 

We got ready to go for our dinner at the Borealis Restaurant. Unfortunately when we got to the restaurant the staff at both the Aurora and Borealis Restaurants were standing like a phalanx, singing outheir welcome. Albina was so shocked that she turned on her heel and refused to eat there. I know Albina is exceptionally thin skinned and tending to panic in such situations, but there is something distinctly off-putting in this excessive  overeager attempt to be of service.

However, I have one niggling problem.Since this morning I have no internet link, even though I have bought wifi access. I am told this happens occasionally but it had virtually cut off any access to my blog by anyone reading it and also blocked off my access to the latest news, including news on Iga Swiatek's progress at the Dubai tennis tournament, and more importantly access to my bank account.

That night I watched a comedian magician perform at the Neptune Theatre and took part in a General Knowledge Quiz. I seem to have become part of a team. We got 13 right out of 15 questions, but we were nowhere being a winner. Tonight the ship will head round Cape Finisterre and continue along the Spanish and Portuguese coast to reach Lisbon by 8am tomorrow morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment