Polish Londoner

These are the thoughts and moods of a born Londoner who is proud of his Polish roots.



Sunday 7 May 2023

Bacharach and Champagne





 

Borealis Monday 8th May 2023

The sky is grey and overcast and the sea is likewise grey with a moderate swell. Actually those words sound familiar. Have I said that somewhere before? 

In the morning I prepared and polished up the text I wrote on the 3 day visit to India. I sent it to Regina Wasiak-Taylor who seemed keen to publish an excerpt of my blog for her literary journal "Pamietnik Literacki". She wanted to publish the first couple of days of the blog starting with the day of embarkation as a way of introducing the ship and to explain the purpose of my journey. Howewer, as my journey had no purposes in that sense, then I did not think that a good idea. I prepared my blog several months earlier than the start of the cruise and my mixed feelings about it cannot be encompassed in one day's entryin February.

At lunchtime the Captain announced we were just 255 miles from Flores, one of the Azore Islands, and pointed out that the sea was calmer now than in the morning. It was still overcast but somehow lighter as if the clouds could break soon and show some sunlight. 

I had sorted out how to distribute the gratuity money totalling £790, based on the formula of £5 per guest per day,  with proper provision for our housekeeper and for the staff at the View buffet restaurant. As we had given up eating at the posh Borealis Restaurant quite early we saw no pint diverting any gratuity there, as otherwise they would have got as much as £400 from us. I asked to save some money for the Guest Services themselves and something for Shiri of course. Gratuities is a messy business at the best of times, but this way Fred Olsen distributes the money for you tidily in accordance with you wishes.

I picked up the remainder of the photos taken by Fred Olsen photographic staff of us as the gangplank at each port. I then went to a lecture by Dr Roy Paul on Jules Verne at the Neptune Theatre. To my surprise, my rather pleasant surprise, Dr Paul referred to my lecture a month ago. The reason it was surprising was that I have never spoken or even met Dr Paul before and he joined the vessel long after I had made the lecture. I can only assume he was briefed by Sammy or Tom about my contribution. 

Albina was still staying in the cabin all day as she felt unwell. She has remained secluded most of the week and that is quite troubling, but she seems happy, she is not moping and she is happy to see me when I am here. She also seems happy for me to take part in activities. As far she is concerned she is on holiday doing what she always wanted to sleep, rest, relax, and to participate in excursions when they are available. Not my idea of a holiday, perhaps, but then I am living mine. The only thing I am missing is to be able to share some of my fun with her, and that is not to be. 

Sammee had opted to put on a show, all her own, on Burt Bacharach songs. I chose to watch this with Albina in the cabin just for companionship, although I could easily have watched the concet in the theatre. Unlike the self confident Sammie who sang the Karen Carpenter songs earlier on thr ctuise, she seemed a bit more bervous this tine, as she had never sone such a concert devoted to Bacharach before. Imitially, as soon as he started to sung Albina went to sleep and I was left on my own watching the concert on the TV screen. However this had the advantage that I could see the lyrics displayed for each song while she was singing it. Bacharach songs have a wonderful sensitivity that is all feminine and see love above all else from the feminine point of view, with a vulnerable poignancy like Walk on By or Not Going Home Anymore, or Anyne who Had a Heart, or else they carried a hard edged assessment of  male insincerity and insecurity like Alfie or I'll Never Fall in Love Again . Even the happy romantic songs like Say a Little Prayer or Look of Love honour female deication and loyalty. As Sammie grew more confident her rendition became seasoned in the big American singing style. She delivered her last songs with the full volume and full passion of Cilla Black or Dusty Springfield. Hoever, yo me there is nothing to match |Dionne Warwick's version of "Walk on By" and Sammie version was faultless. I often lose the full impact of a song as the words get blurred and you are left being carried forward by the music alone, but on this occasion the wonderful poetry and the realism of the words were revealed as well. An enriching experience which Albina sadly missed.

Our intrepid quiz team shared the first of the bottles of champagne tonight as we played again. in my case and Albina's we would rather take the bottle home. We got an honourable 13 out of 16, but still no cigar.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment