Polish Londoner

These are the thoughts and moods of a born Londoner who is proud of his Polish roots.



Thursday 4 May 2023

Roaring Twenties


 Borealis  Thursday 04.05.2023

The journey back continues and the anxieties return. I know that sufficiently from my dreams. Questions tormented me. Like what happens to our luggage at Southampton when it will no longer be Fred Olsen's responsibility? When we have to think for ourselves again and not leave it all to the ship's staff to organize. I must admit I don't know how to contact Rol Cruise through whom we booked the holiday, because we organized the port to door chauffer with them. They have a phone line, but not on Whats App and they indicate no email, so I have no means of contacting them. That is my next anxious worry. 

Just after lunch I listened to a lecture on the Atlantic Crossing, about how the conditions of passengers on ships changed over the centuries. It is interesting to know how current luxuries such as individual bathrooms with each cabin developed only after the First World War, or that third class passengers on the big liners had no access to the outside decks.

As my wifi link, which I purchased at the beginning of the cruise, had expired after 70 days, I purchased a new one with Guest Services for £63 to last me another 10 days. For the last two days of the cruise I will again be without a link, which may be awkward. 

In the meantime, I had arranged with Tony to release some photos to me covering the cruise from Hawaii to St Kitts. In the end Tony gave me a USB link to transfer a total of 168 photos covering everything from Lisbon to St Kitts. For this I will be eternally grateful. I have started to save each photo individually.

The evening was another Formal Night on the ship with special emphasis on the Roaring Twenties.  I had no interest in this,but I have to say that there was a large number of imaginatively dressed ladies scampering around the decks with their partners in dinner suits. There was also A Musical Murder Mystery put on in the Neptune Theatre, where the main entertainment staff had put on a show acting as Holmes and Watson pretending to have embarked on a cruise ship to catch a murderer. The clues were hidden in more than 20 songs that are played on a piano. I broke off from saving Tony's photos to have a look at the tail end of the Murder Mystery and came in at the moment that each musical number was indentified with the help of the audience. I came away still totally mystified. As I had missed dinner checking photos with Tony, I went upstairs to get some food for Albina and myself from the buffet restaurant in the Supper Club after 11pm.

In the meantime the local elections are under way in the UK. Good early results for Labour and Lib Dems are expected. 

Time for another change in the time as well as in Britain. Watches move forward tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment