Polish Londoner

These are the thoughts and moods of a born Londoner who is proud of his Polish roots.



Sunday 11 September 2022

Birthday dinner at Daquise

 



On Sunday another walk along the canalside to Hanwell, then I catch the bus back. It is 3 miles of lonely pleasure that is true "me time", as I observe human and animal life in the serene surrounding of the canal. Spotted a strange black bird with a white beak. A friend at work checked with his ornithologist grandfather. It turned out be a cormorant. Not something I had seen before. I even put my discovery on Facebook and got a bit of a reaction.

Albina decided to celebrate my birthday, which was on Tuesday, by ordering a meal this Sunday with traditional Polish cusine at the Daquise restaurant in South Kensington with four friends, Stefan and Ewa Przedzrymirski, Maria Young and Wanda Gerzon. Two bottles of Barolo and some lemon vodka shots with some great foods put us in the best of moods. Daquise is a leftover from the days when post war Polish exiles saw Kensington as their second capital, with numerous posh Polish clubs and restaurants dotting the area. The sides of the restaurant walls were covered with pictures of Polish war time leaders, often with their British or American counterparts, such as Sikorski with Roosevelt. Stefan and Ewa presented me with a nifty little telescope for our cruise next year. Albina volunteered earlier to foot the bill as this was all her idea, but I secretly transferred £200 to her current account to ease the financial pain. Then home and deep sleep in time for work next morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment