Polish Londoner

These are the thoughts and moods of a born Londoner who is proud of his Polish roots.



Sunday 11 September 2022

Iga Świątek wins U S Open



Iga Świątek won the US Open at Flushing Meadows last night. She beat the Tunisian Ons Jabeur in straight sets. I didn't watch the match as it did appear on any of my TV channels. Why does this victory fill me with such joy? So far, I have admired her aggression, her athleticism, her psychological strength, and loved her for her modesty and lack of self-regard and for her impressive performances at press conferences. She admits she takes toilet breaks not to cry and give vent to her emotions but to coolly plan her next tactics and change the nature of her game. She has a psychologist in her team with whom she exercises as often as with her physical trainer. Perhaps she lacks the mishievous charm of Agnieszka Radwanska who was my previous tennis idol, but she has a sense of humoir. Above all, I love Iga for being Polish and making me proud of being Polish. I have few opportunities to feel that kind of pride these days. 

I am not a great sports fan and interested largely wth football only when we get to international matches. I used to support Ipswich Town in the 1970s, when I lived there, and when they won the FA Cup. More recently I supported Arsenal when it was managed by Arsene Wenger, and Liverpool now with Jurgen Klopp. Last year the local Brentford FC joined the Premier League and has had an impressive first season, so my loyalties are stretched again. But I have cared so much as to watch a match on TV from beginning to end, let alone go to a match. I once attended a match between Ipswich and Barcelona with Kruyff playing for the Spanish team. Ipswich won 3 nil. And that is my total sporting experience. Politics, history, the arts, that is why my real interests lie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment