Polish Londoner

These are the thoughts and moods of a born Londoner who is proud of his Polish roots.



Thursday 13 April 2023

Power Point at the Ready


Borealis Thursday 13th April 2023

 I have spent most of today either polishing up my Friday presentation or writing up my blog on the visit to Hawaii Big Island.

I was delighted to hear from Stefan that he had been able to make the payment on my behalf to my Barclaycard on Tuesday. The only trouble is that it had still not appeard on my Barclay App as paid. This payment due to be done by April 17th is an absolute nightmare. I have been trying to pay this through my online Barclay App since March 19th and the system has totally failed me until now. Now my friend has offered to make the payment from London and I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will finally get paid.

Having got my Power Point system sorted I met Tom at the appointed hour of 11am in the library. I gave him the run through of my slides which he seemed very pleased with. He said a technician will connect my presntation to their screen with a memory stick, and I will be given a little stick to move my slides backwards or forwards and which can act as a laser pointer when I want to highlight items on the screen. What time was my lecture? He didn't know yet but I will probably learn when it appears this evening in The Daily Times.

After that it was question of writing up my visit yesterday to Mount Kaloua, interspersed with lunchtime, and then high tea, with Albina in the buffet restaurant. In the meantime she had bought herself a couple of blouses taking advantage of a sale in the Borealis shop.

Although the sea is much calmer now, and the sky is sunny, but there is still a strong wind. The observation platform on Deck 6 still regretfully remains closed. So I still have no opportunity for whale watching.

I spent the evening polishing up my lecture notes and my power point slides. Then at 10pm I slipped off to meet my team in the Morning Light Saloon. I heard there that one of the passengers had actually died of a heart attack while visiting a volcano on Mauii Island. He was travelling on the ship alone and his death was quite a shock to the people with whom he was on tour. I am not sure where his body was now, but understand the ship had started to make arrangements for the repatriation of his body. During the quiz we again got a good result with 13 correct answers out of 15. Unfortunately, we were again pipped at the post by one team who had all 15 answrs right. That included the question concerning which country has the longest living population. After arguing amongst ourslves between thr merits of Japan and Finland, we opted for Finland. The answer was Hong Kong. But is Hong Kong a separate country? Not only the questioner thought so, but so did the winning team. How did they manage that?I

Clocks needed to be moved forward one hour again for tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment