Polish Londoner

These are the thoughts and moods of a born Londoner who is proud of his Polish roots.



Tuesday 4 April 2023

Out on to the Pacific


 We are sailing on a considerable swell through an ocean in which we pass no other vessels. We are alone. We make our way over the ship like drunks as we hold on to the railings on the stair cases and papers slide off tables. Yet life continues as normal with meals, lectures, yoga classes, drama rehearsals, bridge and killer darts. Most people seem to be enjoying themselves. 

In my case I have spent the whole day catching up on my blog, while Albina has spent most of the time in bad. She finished her post-breakfast nap to enjoy the tea I had made her and then settled in for her afternoon nap. Finally, I went off to have a delicious paella and when I came down with some bread rolls and cheese for her. By then she had finally got out of bed and started talking to her friends in Poland. I saw at lunch that Lisa has been released now after her 7 day covid quarantine.

In the afternoon I had attened two lectures. The first by historian and pilot Doug Keeney gave some fascinating glimpses as to how the earth appears to astronauts in space. It is interesting to see how during the day there are few signs of human existence on the planet. However at night the impact of heavy concentrations of light betrays where the major cities are. The other lecture was on whales, dolphins and porpoises. Since coming aboard in japan he has already spotted some whales frisking in the sea. So far I have not seen any sign of such life, except briefly for some dolphins in the Arabian Sea. 

I had planned to go to a show and then attend my regular quiz. However, Albina's trip to the laundry took precedent over that. Still the laundry has to be done and Albina had two machines full.

Another one hour forward tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment