Polish Londoner

These are the thoughts and moods of a born Londoner who is proud of his Polish roots.



Friday 21 April 2023

Rock n'Roll Night


 



Borealis Friday 21st April 2023

I woke up from a deep sleep, feeling like I had been drugged. I moved slowly around the cabin while my brain drifted off somewhere and then sought to catch up with me.

I had just finished the contents of my second pill box, each one lasting around a month. I shall have to drag the third box out of the suitcase later today, but I can bless the concerted effort I put in before the cruise to complete filling the three newly purchased pillboxes with my morning intake. My evening pills went into seperate smaller pillboxes which can hold 2 months in one container. It took me hours to prepare but it was worth the effort. Albina has a more complicated intake and can only complete one pill box in a week, so she has to spend time once a week completing her next set of pills.

We had beeled th spa again today, this time just for shampoo and hair cuts, with me at 9.15 and Albina at 10. Before breakfast I went for my mile walk, 3 and a half times around the Observation Deck on Deck 3. Then up to breakfast, where two bits of news hit me. One was the resignation at last of Dominic Raab, Deputy Prime Minister. He had ignored a number of complaints for bullying civil servants, and an inquiry into these claims upheld at least two of them. The second and much more worrying news was from Stefan to say that our close friend Zbyszek had heart attack on Wednesday and was now in a coma in A&E. I passed on this news to Jack in Mexico, as he was a common friend of us both. That may put a cloud over our meeting on Sunday in Acapulco.

As 9 o’clock approached on my watch one of the waiters approached me to ask if I needed anything else from the buffet bar as they were about to close. A bit early, I thought, as they normally close at 10. I went back downstairs with a cup full of cold milk for her cereal. As I approached my cabin door, our maid called out to me to say that “Madame” had already gone up to the Salon. Why? I thought. She was not due there for her haircut until 10am. My own appointment was at 9.15 and I was about to go up.

Then at last it hit me. I had failed to move my watch forward last night, probably because I was so tired. Obviously, the Spa had rung to find out where I was and Albina twigged what had happened and went up there straight away. At least she did not miss her appointment. I went upstairs to apologize and was rebooked at 4.15. Now that will put Albina in a good mood! She just hates sudden surprises. By 11 she had emerged all happy and smiling with her new shorter hair. So all is well. I sent pictures of her on Whatsapp to her Polish friends and they responded approvingly.

                                

At lunchtime I belatedly looked at today's programme in the Daily Tim es. To my surprise Captain Rommel Pineda is leaving the ship at Acapulco and had organizeda farewell drinks party in the late morning, of which I was not aware. I had earlier written to him about finding out more of the background to Olsen's decision to organize a cruise to commemorate Verne's book. Now I guess I won't get a reply. I went to a talk at 2pm on earthquakes in the Ring of Fire but unfortunately my usual tiredness prevented me seeing it through without falling asleep. Sad really, because the subject was fascinating, and I had had a good night's sleep. The Captain had made the announcement that we were now skirting the souther tip of Baja California and continuing some 80 miles away from the Mexican coast.

At 3pm I went for my haircut that I had missed in the morning. She did a great job, clearing my throat  and neck of all unnecessary stubble and making sense of my hair.. We then celebrated that by going for that afternoon tea, which I also criticize as self-indulgent, but which for Albina, is her favourite meal of the day. There is always a section at teatime roped off and reserved for single people, so that they can pursue their friendships and romances. They are normally the liveliest tables while normal couples tend to it in silence, unless the women find somehere to gossip together. While having tea I noticed sudden bursts of silvery flying fishes shooting away from the ship across the waves. I tried to catch them on my phone but they were too quick and too tiny.

Then I received a surprise letter from Sammie Firbanks. I was invited to meet the Captain at 1pm tomorrow "to discuss our Around the World in 80 Day Route". I was surprised that he had the time on what would his last full day on board, but obviously I was pleased to have the meeting. I am to meet Sammie at Guest Services at 12.55pm who will take me up to the bridge. Albina will wait with me in the hope that she can accompany me too. 

For the evening I squeezed myself into some Armani Jeans to celebrate a Rock n'Roll themed night. I dressed like that for dinner. Sammie turned up dressed in an eye-catching cat suit and I introduced her to Albina. She invited Albina to join me tomorrow on the bridge.

Then Albina went to the Library to exchange some books and then we went down to watch the film "Elvis", a touching portrayal of Elvis and Priscilla and a revelation on the kind of parasitic monster that Colonel Parker was in his exploitation of Elvis. Albina had not felt toowell during the film which lasted a godd two and a half hours. She had a stab at the chest which she thought ominous as she had had heart attacks before and Zbyszek's sudden illness in London had brought it all back. We went back to the cabin and Albina undressed and went to bed. I popped out to scout what was happening with the rest of the rock n'roll night. There had been a rock n'roll quiz in the Mornimg Light Lounge, although none of our usual team tool part. However I cam across Lisa sitting and chatting with the winning team. Apparently they only got 5 questions right out of 15, but they were still the winners. I went to the Neptune Theatre and the party was in full swing. I joined for a few minutes in the dancing with the Stattus Band. After all I had to show off the jeans. Then I took a photo of the merry ageing but indefatigable remnants of the rock generation and quietly left. Straight back to the cabin, even though it was not even midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment